Fricassee of Chicken Casserole with California Raisins
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey or apple juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 cup California natural raisins
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1-1/4 pound light and dark meat chicken pieces
- 3 ounces fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fresh baby turnips, cut in half
- 3 -- fingerling potatoes, cut in half diagonally
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced shallots
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- In medium saucepan, combine bourbon and 1/2 cup chicken stock; bring to slow boil. Add raisins and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add sage and cover pan tightly. Let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in large casserole, sauté chicken pieces and vegetables in butter and olive oil. When brown, add shallots, sage and thyme; cook 5 minutes.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, reduce 3/4 cup chicken stock to 1/2 cup; add to casserole and mix thoroughly. Stir in raisins and their liquid to casserole. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbling and browned.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To Serve: Divide and portion vegetables into 6 individual serving bowls. Place two pieces of chicken on top and ladle desired amount of broth into each bowl. Serve hot.
Recipe by Chef Kim Canteenwalla.