Fricassee of Chicken Casserole with California Raisins
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
- 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey or apple juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 cup California natural raisins
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1-1/4 pound light and dark meat chicken pieces
- 3 ounces fresh baby carrots, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fresh baby turnips, cut in half
- 3 fingerling potatoes, cut in half diagonally
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoon thinly sliced shallots
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- In medium saucepan, combine bourbon and 1/2 cup chicken stock; bring to slow boil. Add raisins and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add sage and cover pan tightly. Let stand for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in large casserole, sauté chicken pieces and vegetables in butter and olive oil. When brown, add shallots, sage and thyme; cook 5 minutes.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, reduce 3/4 cup chicken stock to 1/2 cup; add to casserole and mix thoroughly. Stir in raisins and their liquid to casserole. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbling and browned.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To Serve: Divide and portion vegetables into 6 individual serving bowls. Place two pieces of chicken on top and ladle desired amount of broth into each bowl. Serve hot.
Recipe by Chef Kim Canteenwalla, courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board