- Yield 2 cups
An easy whipped cream that's great on anything.
- 1 cup cold heavy cream (preferably 40 percent fat)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon granulated sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, or seeds scraped from 1/4 to 1/2 vanilla bean
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla and beat on medium-high speed until medium-soft peaks form. (Alternatively you can whip the cream with a handheld mixer or by hand with a whisk, though it’ll take longer). If you want the peaks softer, whip less. If you want them sturdier, whip longer, but don’t overwhip or the cream will curdle and eventually turn into butter!
- Follow the preceding recipe, but before you whip the cream, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of room-temperature Nutella to the bowl. Whip until medium-soft peaks form.
Reprinted with permission from Kir Jensen’s The Sugar Cube (Chronicle Books, 2012).