Fresh Vegetable Mosaic Salad
- Yield 2 servings
Serve this colorful combination of hot yellow peppers, tomatoes and avocado with warm bread.
- 2 medium hot yellow peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 large ripe tomato, quartered and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large avocado, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and sliced into very thin rounds
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 small mozzarella balls, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Place yellow pepper halves on a baking dish, skin side up and place under broiler about 2 inches from heating element. Broil 6 minutes until blackened. Place peppers on a plate and cover with a clean towel. Let cool. Peel black skin away. Cut pepper halves into 1-inch squares.
- On a large plate, arrange yellow pepper squares, tomatoes and avocados in an alternating fashion something like a checkerboard covering the plate. Alternate the colors to form an interesting pattern. Sprinkle lime juice over all. Sprinkle with scallions, jalapenos and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and place mozzarella ball halves over vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.