Fresh Tomato Sauce with Feta Beef Meatballs
- Yield 8 servings
A super-easy tomato sauce for your favorite pasta. The feta cheese adds a bit of tang to these beefy meatballs.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -- carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 large juicy tomatoes, crushed
- 1 dash each: sugar, salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 -- garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 -- egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- -- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the sauce, heat oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Add carrots and onion; saute until browned, about 10 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer 2 hours or until sauce is thickened. Add vinegar and garlic.
- To prepare the meatballs, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well with hands. Shape into about 24 meatballs. Cook meatballs in a large nonstick skillet until browned. Ladle some sauce into skillet, and stir scraping up the browned bits. Add meatballs to sauce. Serve over spaghetti with freshly grated cheese.