Fresh Tomato and Cheese Pie
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 4large ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 1/2cups shredded basil leaves
- 1small Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 9-inch refrigerated piecrust
- 2fluid ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place on a dinner plate. Scatter garlic, basil leaves and onions over tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature at least 2 hours (or in the refrigerator overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Fill piecrust with half the cheese. Place tomato mixture over the cheese and cover with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, in the center of the oven 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown and shell is cooked through.
Note: To peel tomatoes: Remove core from tomato and score bottom of each tomato with a paring knife before plunging it intoboiling water 20 seconds to loosen skins. Remove tomatoes to a bowl of ice water and peel.
Recipe by Reggie and Cindy Powell, Dahlonega Farm House Produce
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 256
- Fat 19g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 22mg
- Sodium 287mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 8g