Fresh Tomato and Cheese Pizza
- Yield 8 servings
Nothing impresses kids like a homemade pizza, especially when they can help assemble it.
- 1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well drained
- 2 Roma (plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Preheat broiler. Place onion and garlic on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Broil 6 inches from the heat 8 to 10 minutes, or until charred; set aside.
- Reduce temperature of the oven to 500F.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle and press into a pizza pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Combine ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil, stirring well. Spread cheese over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange tomato slices over cheese. Top with onion and garlic. Bake on bottom rack of oven 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is browned. Transfer pizza to a cutting board.