Fresh Salsa with Artichokes
- Yield 6 cups
There is nothing like the fresh goodness of homemade salsa, and you're going to love the extra flavor and texture you get from using artichokes!
- 3/4 cup sliced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 1 (2 1/2-ounce) can chopped black olives, drained
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Chop peppers and artichoke hearts. Mix with other ingredients except salt. Taste; only add salt if needed. Chill before serving. Serve with oven-baked tortilla chips or as a side dish. This is spicy; may want to use less jalapeno.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Baton Rouge’s River Road Recipes III (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1994).