Fresh Pear Salad
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 3-- pears, divided use
- 3tablespoons lemon juice, divided use
- 1 1/2quarts mixed salad greens, torn
- 2tablespoons minced green onion
- 1/2cup chopped walnuts
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4cup oil
- 3tablespoons mayonnaise
- -- Endive
- -- Orange slices
- -- Fresh raspberries or blueberries
- Peel, core and coarsely chop 2 pears. Place in salad bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add salad greens, onions, walnuts. Toss gently to blend. In small bowl, combine sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and orange juice. Add oil and mayonnaise. Blend until smooth.
- Core and slice remaining pear. Toss with remaining tablespoon lemon juice. Arrange pear slices on salad. Garnish with endive and orange slices or fresh raspberries or blueberries, if desired. Pass dressing separately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness(Springfield, Illinois, 1990).