Fresh Pear Salad
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Serve this elegant salad at your next dinner party.
- 3 -- pears, divided use
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided use
- 1 1/2 quarts mixed salad greens, torn
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- -- Endive
- -- Orange slices
- -- Fresh raspberries or blueberries
- Peel, core and coarsely chop 2 pears. Place in salad bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add salad greens, onions, walnuts. Toss gently to blend. In small bowl, combine sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and orange juice. Add oil and mayonnaise. Blend until smooth.
- Core and slice remaining pear. Toss with remaining tablespoon lemon juice. Arrange pear slices on salad. Garnish with endive and orange slices or fresh raspberries or blueberries, if desired. Pass dressing separately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness(Springfield, Illinois, 1990).