Fresh Mushroom Clafouti
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons corn oil margarine
- 3/4cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2pounds white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3cup dry sherry
- 1 1/3cups skim milk
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 3large egg whites
- 1large egg
- 1/2tablespoon thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4tablespoon salt
- 1/4tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350F. Using a nonstick vegetable spray, spray a 10-inch fluted quiche pan or pie plate.
- For the filling: In a large skillet heat margarine until melted. Add onion; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is just softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and dry sherry; cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 18 minutes; set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the crust: In the container of an electric blender place milk, flour, egg whites, egg, thyme, salt and black pepper. Blend on high speed, until well beaten, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour 1 cup mixture into prepared pan forming a thin layer; set remaining mixture aside. Bake until firm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; transfer to a baking sheet; spoon mushroom mixture from skillet evenly over crust reserving 1/4 cup mushrooms for garnish; sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Whirl remaining milk mixture in blender to combine; pour over cheese. Bake until puffed and brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool, about 10 minutes before serving (clafouti will lose some of its puffiness and flatten out). Garnish with reserved 1/4 cup mushrooms and fresh thyme springs, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.