Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Salad with a Kick
- Yield 8 servings
This colorful, easy salad can be made a few hours before serving. Use a great quality extra-virgin olive oil and a platter with lots of surface area. Serve with toasted Italian bread rounds or packaged crostini.
- 2 pounds large water-packed fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large ripe tomatoes or assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 bunch basil, leaves removed from stems (about 1 cup leaves)
- 1/2 cup hot cherry pepper slices (See Note)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar, optional
- Arrange alternating slices of cheese and tomatoes on a large platter, overlapping the slice. Place basil leaves in between every couple of slices. Scatter the cherry peppers over the platter. Drizzle the olive oil over all and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with vinegar, if using.