Chicken Kiev Americaine
- Yield servings
- For Chicken:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 -- (6 ounce) thin cut chicken cutlets
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- -- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter
- 1 cup flour
- 2 -- eggs
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- -- A wedge lemon
- -- Salt and pepper
- -- Plain, round toothpicks
- For Corn Saute:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups fresh white corn kernels (from 4 or 5 ears) cut off the cob
- 1 1/2 cups fresh shitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups broccolini (baby broccoli) florets and tender stems
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved from stem to bottom
- -- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
For Corn Saute:
Heat olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn kernels and saute for about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and broccolini and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the tarragon, parsley and butter. Stir to mix well and saute for 2 more minutes. Gently stir in tomatoes and saute for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
Keep warm until Chicken is done.
In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 1/2 inches vegetable oil over medium high heat.
The thin cut breasts may just be removed from package and arranged on waxed paper. Cover breast meat with a second sheet of waxed paper. Pound out cutlets to 1/4-inch thick with a small heavy skillet or a rubber mallet. Be careful not to tear meat. Roll up waxed paper and breasts and set aside.
Combine chopped herbs on cutting board with chopped garlic. Cut 4 (1 1/2 tablespoons) pieces of cold butter and coat each piece liberally with the herb garlic mixture.
In 3 pie tins, set out flour, eggs beaten with a splash of cold water and bread crumbs. Uncover chicken and squeeze a wedge of lemon over breasts. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place an herb-covered piece of butter on each piece of chicken. Wrap and roll cutlets tightly up and over the butter cubes. Secure stuffed chicken with toothpicks. Roll stuffed breasts in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
Fry the Kiev bundles 7 to 8 minutes on each side until deep golden brown all over.
Mound Corn Saute in the middle of each plate and place Chicken on top. Serve with lemon wedges.