Fresh Green Bean and Tomato Platter
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1/3cup olive oil
- 1 1/2pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2cup finely chopped Bermuda onion
- 4 to 5 Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 4 to 5large fresh basil leaves
- Combine the lemon juice, wine vinegar, mustard, basil and sugar in a bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the oil and shake or whisk until thickened.
- Cook the beans in rapidly boiling water in a saucepan for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Plunge the beans into ice water in a bowl. Drain and pat dry with paper towels when cool.
- Arrange the beans on a serving platter. Drizzle the dressing over the beans.
- Top with the feta cheese and chopped onion.
- Arrange the chopped tomatoes around the edge of the beans. Slice the basil leaves thinly and sprinkle over the top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, Cooking from the Coast to the Cascades (Junior League of Eugene, Oregon, 2002).