Fresh Fig, Serrano and California English Walnut Salad
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Sweet fresh figs, Serrano Ham and a Mediterranean honey-balsamic vinaigrette with California walnuts sing a song of summer when surrounded by good company ,happy music and a glass of California white or a fruity red wine. Only fresh ingredients not only make this recipe healthy but also preferred by customers and my friends, gathering for a cool summer meal in our backyard.
- 2/3 pound mixed baby greens- such as arugula, frisee, green and red oakleaf, Boston bib and hearts of romaine lettuces.
- 1 -- head small radicchio
- 8 -- fresh mission figs or other sweet and juice figs
- 12 -- paper thin slices of Serrano Ham
- 1/2 cup California English walnut halves
- Mediterranean Honey-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (8 years of age or older)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (""green"" preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- -- flowers to garnish (orchid blossoms, if available)
- Wash and dry greens and radicchio, tear into bite size pieces and chill in refrigerator. Make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a blender until emulsified and smooth.
- Rinse figs under cold water and pat dry. Cut each fig in half removing tough stem.
- Toss greens with enough vinaigrette to coat. Toss walnut halves with a little vinaigrette to make them shiny. Reserve remaining vinaigrette.
- Place salad greens mixed with radicchio on 4 chilled plates. Arrange 3 slices Serrano in center of each plate to form a circular pattern. Stand 4 fig halves in center of Serrano to form yet another circle (with stem ends up and cut sides out)
- Spoon walnut halves over figs. Drizzle reserved dressing over figs and Serrano.
- Place s small flower (orchid blossom, if available) on top of figs, if desired.