Fresh Cranberry Relish
- Yield 6 servings
"My mother always said she only ate the turkey and dressing at Thanksgiving so she could have the cranberry sauce. Our family has enjoyed her yummy cranberry relish for half a century. She had to chop the fruit by hand and then got a food grinder. Today's preparation is quite simple - in the food processor."
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, halved, cored and cut into large pieces
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups sugar or sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
- Peel orange and lemon and place in a food processor with cranberries and apple. Pulse to a coarse texture.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl; add sugar and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 hours. Place mixture in a fine mesh strainer and let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Ellen Schirmer, Spokane, Wash.