Fresh Corn Chowder
- Yield 6 servings
- 3 ounces bacon, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Fresh sweet corn cut from 4 ears (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup roasted tomatoes
- Place bacon, shallot and onion in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Add potatoes and corn; stir. Add flour and stir well. Cook 5 minutes. Add milk. Turn heat to low and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. To finish, add feta, salt and pepper and top with roasted tomatoes.
Tip: To cut corn from the cob, place one end in a bowl and use a sharp chef’s knife to cut kernels off. To “milk,” use the flat side of the blade to scrape the cob.