Fresh Corn, Bacon and Potato Chowder
- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 50 mins
Rich and creamy, this soup is loaded with vegetables and garnished with bacon.
Serve this rich and creamy soup in small bowls.
- 10 ears corn
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced red onion (about 2 medium)
- 3 cups diced celery (about 6 ribs)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper (about 3 large)
- 6 cups diced red potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 6 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked until crispy, drained and crumbled
- Cut corn kernels off cobs. Place cobs in a large Dutch oven and cover with 8 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Remove cobs and discard. Set cooking liquid aside.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, potatoes, fennel seed, celery seed, red pepper flakes and corn kernels. Cook until onions are tender and vegetables are fragrant. Add liquid from cooking corn cobs and heavy cream. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender. Just before serving, stir in dill. Garnish with crumbled bacon. Makes 16 cups.
Recipe courtesy of Maggie Zaccara, Hope & Olive Restaurant, Greenfield, Mass.