Almond-Flavored Coconut Cake
- Yield 12 to 15 servings
This moist and elegant coconut cake will be a hit at your next family gathering.
- Coconut Cake:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 -- eggs
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2 small or 1 large fresh coconut, grated
- -- Coconut water plus enough tap water to make 2 1/2 cups
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -- heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- For the cake. Cream butter and sugar until light; add eggs one at a time, beating each in thoroughly. Sift and add dry ingredients alternately with milk and flavoring. Bake in 3 greased and floured 9-inch cake layer pans in 350F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. When layers are cold, brush fresh coconut juice (small amount) on op of each to make layers moist.
- For the filling. Bring coconut water and sugar to a rapid boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add 2/3 of the coconut to water and sugar mixture and cook 5 to 8 minutes. Add vanilla, lemon juice and salt. Mix cornstarch in 1/4 cup water, pour into filling. Let boil for 2 minutes. Cool in refrigerator until cold and stiff. Spread between and on tope of cake layers.
- After cake has settled, sprinkle the remaining coconut on top and sides of cake. Keep cake refrigerated.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Savannah’s Savannah Style (the Junior League of Savannah, Georgia, 1980).