Fresh Blackberry Ice Cream
- Yield 16 servings
July is blackberry time, and the perfect opportunity to indulge a summer ice cream treat.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries, washed and pureed
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until bubbles form around the edge. Remove from heat. Stir in salt and sugar until dissolved. Then stir in half-and-half, vanilla bean paste, heavy cream and pureed blackberries. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour—but overnight works too.
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve “soft” or freeze until serving time. Makes approximately 2 quarts.
—Recipe courtesy of Nancy Vienneau and Third Thursday Potluck