Fresh Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Yield: 20 servings
"My Aunt Vera, who was a wonderful old-time cook, gave me this recipe."
- 1 3/4cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1cup vegetable oil
- 2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2cups peeled and chopped apples
- 1cup chopped walnuts
- Cream Cheese Icing:
- 1/2cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Beat sugar, eggs and oil together with a mixer until well blended. Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in apples and walnuts, mixing well.
- Pour into baking dish. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool before icing.
- To prepare the icing, mix butter, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla. Spread on cooled cake.
Recipe by Darlene Reinoehl, Klingerstown, Pa.