- Yield: 8-9 servings
- 1loaf thick Italian or sourdough bread
- 1cup nondairy milk (soy, rice, almond, hazelnut, hemp, oat)
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4tablespoons non-hydrogenated, nondairy butter (Earth Balance is best)
- Maple syrup for drizzling
- Powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Cut the bread into 1⁄2-inch slices.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip each slice of bread into the milk mixture, then place in the hot skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown. You may need to add more butter, especially as you finish cooking the first batch and before you begin to add the second batch of bread.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving plates. Drizzle with maple syrup or dust with sifted confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Variations and Suggestions
■ Mix together the maple syrup with raisins and/or ground- up toasted pecans or walnuts.
■ Top with fresh berries.
■ Use a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread.
Soy- free, if using soy- free Earth Balance
Excerpted from THE 30-DAY VEGAN CHALLENGE by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Copyright © 2011 by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Excerpted by permission of Ballantine Books, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher.
This cookbook is available for purchase here.