French Toast with Orange-Strawberry Sauce
- Yield servings
Always a favorite, French toast is topped with sweet strawberries, citrusy sauce, and creamy yogurt.
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices light whole-wheat bread
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup whole medium strawberries, quartered
- 1 (6-ounce) container fat-free vanilla yogurt
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg substitute and vanilla. Dip each bread slice in the mixture, coating both sides. Let any excess drip off. Set aside on a plate.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bread for 4 minutes, on each side, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the orange zest, orange juice, sugar, and cornstarch, stirring until the cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Just before serving, stir the strawberries into the orange sauce until coated. Spoon over the bread. Top with the yogurt.