French Toast Sandwich
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
You'll need a fork to eat this apple-rich and decadent take on an old favorite.
Mascarpone is a soft and light, sweet, triple-cream cheese. If not available, use whipped neufchatel.
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 large apple, diced with skin on
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 8 slices cinnamon raisin bread
- Combine mascarpone, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and walnuts; mix well. Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet. Add apples and cook until tender. Remove apples.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Dip bread in egg mixture; cook bread on both sides in nonstick skillet until golden brown.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone mixture on one side of each of 4 slices of bread; top with cooked apple and remaining bread slices.
- Cook until apple filling is thoroughly heated. Serve with maple syrup.
Recipe by Lisa Waterman Gray.