French-Style Pot Roast
- Yield 12 servings
This home-style roast makes delicious roast beef po-boys the following day.
- 1 (7 to 8 pound) rump roast
- 1 can (12 ounce) tomato juice
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Brown the roast on all sides in a Dutch oven. Add the tomato juice, mushrooms, carrots, wine, celery, onion, brandy, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for 5 hours or until the roast is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove the roast to a serving platter, reserving the pan drippings. Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk the flour into the reserved pan drippings. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the roast and serve with the wine gravy.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)