French-Style Pot Roast
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 (7 to 8 pound) rump roast
- 1can (12 ounce) tomato juice
- 8ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1cup chopped carrots
- 3/4cup dry red wine
- 3/4cup chopped celery
- 3/4cup chopped onion
- 1/2cup brandy
- 2cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3tablespoons flour
- Brown the roast on all sides in a Dutch oven. Add the tomato juice, mushrooms, carrots, wine, celery, onion, brandy, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for 5 hours or until the roast is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove the roast to a serving platter, reserving the pan drippings. Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk the flour into the reserved pan drippings. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Slice the roast and serve with the wine gravy.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., River Road Recipes IV: Warm Welcomes, Entertaining Menus from Our Homes to Yours (the Junior League of Baton Rouge, Inc., 2004)