French Onion Soup
- Yield 8 servings
Start your evening off with this special onion soup. Sophisticated presentation with simple preparation.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 pound sliced baby protabellas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 cup white wine or cooking wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (1/2-inch thick) slices Frech bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil and sauté onions and portabellas on medium heat in a large nonstick pot. Stir ingredients periodically until onions are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add sugar and garlic; cook additional 15-20 minutes before adding sherry. Loosen brown bits from the pan.
- Add mustard, thyme and flour, and stir 1 minute. Add broth and wine, then bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook an additional 20-30 minutes, then season.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with bread and cheese, then microwave to melt the cheese.