French Mushroom Soup
- Yield 10 cups
Mushrooms and onions star in this hearty comforting soup.
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sherry or Madeira chopped fresh parsley
- Saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in water and bouillon. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add carrots. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings and sherry. Heat to boiling.
- Garnish with parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s Applehood and Motherpie (Rochester, New York, 1981).