French Mushroom Soup
- Yield: 10 cups
- 1pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 3tablespoons butter
- 8cups water
- 2tablespoons instant beef bouillon
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon pepper
- 1/2cup sherry or Madeira chopped fresh parsley
- Saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in water and bouillon. Cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add carrots. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in seasonings and sherry. Heat to boiling.
- Garnish with parsley.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s Applehood and Motherpie (Rochester, New York, 1981).