French Market Soup
- Yield 12 servings
A hearty soup to warm the soul, especially with a warm loaf of bread.
- 1 package (16 ounce) dried 15-bean soup mix
- 16 cups water
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage, sliced, cooked and drained
- 4 boneless skinless whole chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 ham bone
- 2 cans (28 ounce) Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bouquet garni
- Salt to taste
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Sort and rinse the beans. Soak the beans using the package directions; drain.
- Combine with the water, sausage, chicken, ham bone, tomatoes, celery, onions, garlic and bouquet garni in a stockpot and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and boil gently for 3 to 4 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring and skimming the foam from the top occasionally.
- Discard the bouquet garni and season with salt and Tabasco sauce. Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, Appetizers at Devon, A Collection of Recipes from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair (Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, 2008)