French Country Potato Salad
- Yield: 10 servings
- 3pounds small creamer potatoes (about 30) unpeeled, and scrubbed well
- 4whole leek (white part only)—split lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2-- jarred or homemade roasted red peppers
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2/3cup Champagne Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- 2 1/2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon honey
- 1cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a pot with a steamer insert, steam the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. (The potatoes can also be cooked in boiling salted water for the same amount of time.) Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch the leeks for 30 seconds or until tender. Rinse in cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Cut the roasted peppers in half crosswise and then cut them into 1/2-inch slices. Cut each potato into 8 pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix the potatoes, leeks, peppers, thyme, and tarragon. In a bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, honey, and 1 1/2 tablespoons water. Whisking constantly, slowly add the oil. Drizzle the vinaigrette on the potato salad and toss gently until the vinaigrette coats the salad evenly. Season with the salt and pepper and toss again.