- Yield 20 servings
"I am 85 years old and grew up during the Depression. Mom took care of four children, and Dad worked in the coalmines. Mom had a big garden and she canned everything - now I do the same. I love gardening."
- 7 cups sliced cucumbers, peeled, if desired (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Combine the cucumbers, onions, bell peppers, vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seeds, and mustard seeds in a large bowl; stir gently to blend well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Divide the mixture evenly between two quart-size freezer bags. Seal tightly and freeze overnight or up to 6 months. Thaw completely before serving. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Recipe by Helen Heino, Dunlevy, Pa.