Chicken with Fragrant Fried Rice and Walnuts
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 1/2cup California walnut halves
- 1/2teaspoon five spice powder
- -- Vegetable oil spray
- 8ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat removed, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2medium ribs of bok choy, stems and leaves coarsely chopped (about 1¼ cups)
- 1cup snow peas, trimmed, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2-- green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- 1-- (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks in their own juice, undrained
- 2cups cooked jasmine rice (cold rice preferred) (about 3/4 cup uncooked)
- 1/4cup light teriyaki sauce
- 1tablespoon light soy sauce (optional)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. (Do not spray the skillet.) Dry-roast the walnuts for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully so the walnuts do not burn. Transfer the walnuts to a small bowl. Stir in the five-spice powder.
- Remove the skillet from heat and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray (being careful not to spray near a gas flame). Cook the chicken over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the bok choy, snow peas, bell peppers, and green onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the pineapple with juice and the rice. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the rice is warmed through, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the teriyaki sauce. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the walnuts.
Variations: You may substitute 8 ounces lean pork or beef, all visible fat removed, for the chicken; cook the meat in the same manner and for the same amount of time as the chicken.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 370
- Glycemic Load 4
- Fat 11g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 50mg
- Sodium 370mg
- Potassium 450mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 26g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 25%
- Vitamin C 110%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 15%