Four-Alarm Grilled Cheese and Jalapeño Sandwiches
- Yield: 2 pieces
To select your desired heat level, know that the more white flecks that appear on the outer skin of a jalapeño, the hotter it is likely to be. But the only way to know for sure is to taste one—carefully! Most of the heat is contained in the white inner ribs and the seeds closest to them. To make a vegan sandwich, substitute vegan ingredients for margarine, bread and cheese.
- 4tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 4slices sourdough bread
- 4slices jack or muenster cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 2medium jalapeños, stemmed and thinly sliced (see note)
- Heat large skillet over low heat.
- Spread margarine onto one side of two slices of bread. Place both pieces, buttered sides down, in warm skillet.
- Place two slices of Jack cheese on each slice of bread in skillet and top with slices of tomatoes, then scatter with minced shallots and jalapeño slices.
- Butter one side of remaining two slices of bread and place one over each sandwich in skillet, buttered side up. When bottoms of sandwiches are well toasted, flip them over with a spatula and brown on the other side. Serve hot.
From the book The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong. Copyright 2013.