Fort Morgan Seafood Gumbo
- Yield 12 servings
The roux and vegetable base are prepared in the microwave, saving you a lot of time!
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 quarts seafood stock or hot water
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- -- Black pepper to taste
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 or 2 -- (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped okra
- 8 small crabs, cooked, cleaned
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, cleaned, deveined
- 1 pint oysters
- Whisk 2/3 cup oil and 2/3 cup flour in an 8-cup glass measure. Microwave on high for 6 minutes. Stir well. Microwave for 30 seconds longer or until the color of a copper penny; stir the mixture. Microwave for 30 seconds longer if necessary, watching carefully to avoid burning.
- Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper to the very hot roux and mix well. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, parsley and green onions. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Pour off any oil that has risen to the top. Add enough hot water to measure 4 cups.
- Place the roux mixture in a 5-quart stockpot. Add the seafood stock, bay leaf, thyme, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and okra. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crab meat, shrimp and oysters with liquor. Cook until the oysters curl and the shrimp are pink; do not overcook. Discard the bay leaf. Serve over steamed rice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Cobb-Marietta’s Southern on Occasion (The Junior League of Cobb-Marietta, Inc., 1998).