- Yield 1 1/2
- 1 cup shortening (Crisco)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 packages regular dry yeast, NOT instant
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 71/2-8 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blend sugar and shortening. Add boiling water. Stir to dissolve shortening. Let cool; add beaten eggs.
- Dissolve yeast in the lukewarm water. Add to 1st mixture when it has cooled to correct yeast temperature, tepid. Add salt to flour. Add flour, 1 cup at a time beating with a mixer as long as the mixer can handle the dough. Add balance of flour by using a wooden spoon. Knead on cloth dusted with flour, if necessary.
- Grease a large bowl and place dough in the bowl. Butter the top of the dough. Cover dough with plastic wrap or waxed paper; cover bowl with a kitchen towel. Place bowl in refrigerator for 1st rise, overnight or until dough has doubled in bulk.
- Make into rolls; place in greased pans. Let rise until double in bulk. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Lightly butter baked rolls. Place on a rack to cool so the bottoms don’t get soggy.
Note: It is important to not use instant yeast as it will not rise in the refrigerator.