Flourless Chocolate Beet Cakes
- Yield: 12 servings
You can make this dessert in a 9-inch springform pan or individual cups of most any size. For a 9-inch cake, bake about 40 minutes. The center should be “jiggly” when done, as the cake or cakelets will set as they cool.
- 9ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- 3/4cup (1 1⁄2 sticks) butter
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- 1cup puréed fresh beets or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and puréed
- 3/4cup almond meal (or almond flour)
- 2tablespoons powdered sugar
- Glaze (optional):
- 4ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- 2tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare cake, combine chocolate, butter and olive oil in a bowl set over simmering water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together eggs yolks and granulated sugar until light and well-blended. Add cooled chocolate to egg mixture, whisking well. Stir in the puréed beets and almond meal.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture just until combined.
- Pour mixture into 6 greased cups. Bake about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Centers will be very “jiggly.” Let cool on a wire rack. Chill.
- To prepare glaze, combine chocolate, cream and butter and microwave on low for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave another 30 seconds or until chocolate is melted. Pour or spoon over tops of cakes. Chill until ready to serve. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to garnish, if using.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 390
- Fat 31g
- Cholesterol 125mg
- Sodium 65mg
- Potassium 27g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 7g