Flatiron Steak with Balsamic Baked Vidalia Onions
- Yield 2 servings
The sweet vidalia onions add lots of delicious flavor to this flatiron steak.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Vidalia onions, quartered
- 1 flatiron steak (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Pour into a buttered 2-quart ovenproof casserole. Add the quartered Vidalia onions. Toss to coat and bake 40 minutes, turning and basting twice during cooking.
- Season steak generously with salt and pepper. Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add canola oil and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Add steak and sear for 4 minutes. Turn steak over and place skillet in oven with onions. Cook 5 minutes for rare (9 minutes total cooking time).