Flaky Whole-Grain Piecrust
- Yield 2 pieces
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 0 mins
Makes enough for one double crust or two single crust 9-inch deep dish pies.
This crust can be made ahead and frozen, wrapped very tightly in plastic wrap, for up to one month. Let thaw overnight in refrigerator before using.
- 3 cups (12.75 ounces) whole-grain "all purpose" flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 ounces cold butter, cut into 16 pieces
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- Add flour, sugar and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse once or twice to combine ingredients. Add butter pieces and pulse until it forms a sandy-looking mixture. Sprinkle ice water over flour-butter mixture and pulse just until it forms a ball.
- Dump out on a clean counter or board and knead once or twice into a smooth ball. Divide into 2 equal discs, wrap in plastic and refrigerate about 30 minutes, until it is firm enough to roll out.
Recipe by Jennifer Perillo.