Five Spice Tofu Seared on One Side
- Yield: 4 servings
Serve with basmati rice or couscous.
- Ginger-Sesame Marinade:
- 1/8cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2teaspoons minced ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Chinese Vegetables:
- 2cups shredded green cabbage
- 2cups shredded Napa cabbage or bok choy
- 1cup thin-sliced snow peas, cut on the diagonal
- 1cup thin-sliced carrots, cut on the diagonal
- 8 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- Tofu Seared on One Side:
- 1pound firm tofu, cut lengthwise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon five spice powder
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- To make marinade: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive small bowl and set aside.
- To make vegetables: Combine the vegetables in a medium bowl and set aside.
- To make tofu: Drain tofu slices on a paper towel 2 minutes per side. Mix sugar and five spice powder and sprinkle on both sides of tofu. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonreactive large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Place tofu in pan and cover with sliced vegetables. Cover pan and allow to cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Pour marinade over vegetables, cover, and continue to cook 2 minutes. Tofu will be golden brown and vegetables should be steamed tender. Remove vegetables from pan and place on 4 plates. Serve a slice of tofu on each bed of vegetables.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 173
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 303mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 12g