Firecracker Baked Beans
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1pound dried pea beans (navy beans may be used) or 2 (16-ounce) cans may be substituted, if desired
- 1medium Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2cups tomato puree
- 2cups apple juice
- 2tablespoons molasses
- 2tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2cup apple cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- If using dried beans; cover the beans with cold water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and allow to sit at room temperature 1 hour. Discard water and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer another hour or until almost tender; drain.
- If using canned beans, rinse and drain them well.
- Then, place all ingredients with beans in a large, heavy nonreactive saucepan. Simmer 45 minutes or until beans are tender and a sauce forms.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 346
- Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 199mg
- Carbohydrate 70g