Finnish Gingerbread Men (Pepparkakor)
- Yield 3 dozens
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
These gingerbread cookies are on the soft side. For a crispier cookie, use all butter.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground cardamom, ground coriander seed and ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/3 cup water
- For decorating: decorative icing, pecans, dried fruit and dragees and possibly thin decorative cord or ribbon
- Cream butter, shortening and brown sugar together in a medium bowl, beating until fluffy. Add spices; beat well.
- Add baking soda, salt, flour, cider vinegar and just enough water to make a smooth, pliable dough. Roll into a ball. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Press ball into a disk and roll out on a lightly floured board, to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into shapes; transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet, placing cookies about ½ to ¾ inch apart. Chill dough in between batches. 4. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on pan 2 to 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pan; cool on wire racks. Decorate.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon