- Yield servings
We are crazy for figs, and it has become potluck tradition to make this every year.
- Flatbread dough:
- 1 package dry active yeast (2 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- -- Sliced figs
- -- Sliced prosciutto
- -- Diced leeks
- -- Shaved (or crumbled) gorgonzola cheese
- -- Fresh rosemary
- -- Balsamic glaze (balsamic vinegar reduced to a thick syrup)
- Sprinkle yeast into bowl of water, stir well, and let stand 5 minutes to activate the yeast. Combine flours, salt and olive oil in a mixing bowl. Pour in yeast mixture. Mix until it forms into a ball. It will be moist, but not sticky. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Divide in half and form into balls. Wrap each ball and refrigerate, if you are not going to use immediately. Otherwise, let stand 30 minutes, then roll out into oblong or rectangular shape. Use additional flour, as needed, to prevent sticking.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Cover dough with toppings, and bake about 10 minutes, until browned and bubbly. Remove, drizzle with balsamic glaze, and cut into strips or squares.