Fig Preserves with Balsamic Vinegar, Lemon and Rosemary
- Yield: 5 cups
While these preserves are good on toast at breakfast or stirred into yogurt, they’re incredible brushed on chicken or pork during the last hour of roasting. They’re also a fine complement to a cheese platter.
- 1 3/4pounds fresh black mission figs
- 1medium lemon
- 3/4cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2cup honey
- 3teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced, or 1 teaspoon dry rosemary, crumbled
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- Wash figs and remove stems. Cut into quarters. Cut lemon into quarters and remove seeds. In a food processor, working in batches, finely chop figs and lemon. You should have about 4 cups. Transfer to a slow cooker or shallow pan, such as a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, honey, rosemary and salt. If using a slow cooker, cook on HIGH 4 hours, setting lid ajar for last hour, or until mixture is thickened. (If using oven, preheat oven to 300F; cover shallow pan with foil and place in oven. Cook 3 hours. Remove foil and continue to cook one hour longer, or until mixture is thickened.)
- Prepare 5 half-pint jars with two-piece lids by washing jars and keeping hot; place flat lids in simmering water to warm. Prepare hot-water bath canner by filling with hot water deep enough to cover jars by at least one inch. Place canner over high heat.
- Fill jars with fig mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims with paper towel dampened with white vinegar to remove any spills; add lids and rings, tightening rings only to finger tight. Place jars in canner. Cover canner.
- Begin timing when water is at a full rolling boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove canner from heat; leave covered 10 minutes. Remove canner lid and let jars “temper” 5 minutes longer to minimize temperature-change shock. Place jars on a towel and let stand 24 hours before labeling and storing in a cool, dark place. Preserves will thicken as they cool and will keep for 1 year.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 15
- Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 15mg
- Carbohydrate 4g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 0g