Fig Pine-Nut Jam with Lamb Chops
- Yield 8 servings
Tender lamb chops rest of a bed of fig polenta. This complete meal is served a side dish of asparagus, peas and figs and a dollop of the tasty Fig Pine-Nut Jam.
- Fig and Pine-Nut Jam:
- 4 ounces dried California Calimyrna figs; stemmed and chopped
- 2 ounces pine nuts; lightly toasted
- 4 -- garlic cloves, poached in water until soft
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh lavendar leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lamb Chops:
- 8 -- double cut lamb chops
- -- Salt and pepper, as needed
- -- Extra virgin olive oil; as needed
- Polenta with Dried California Mission Figs:
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup polenta or coarse ground corn meal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 -- dried California Mission figs; roughly chopped
- Asparagus and Peas with Dried California Figs:
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 8 ounces shelled green peas
- 2 -- dried California Calimyrna figs; cut into thin slivers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- To prepare the Fig Pine-Nut Jam. Place chopped figs in small bowl and add warm water to cover, set aside. When soft, drain and transfer to food processor, adding all remaining ingredients for jam. Pulse to mix well, adding water if needed. Set aside.
- To prepare the Polenta with Dried California Mission Figs. In large saucepot, combine water and salt; heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in polenta. Cook, stirring frequently until thick. Set aside.
- To prepare the Asparagus and Peas with Dried California Figs. Cook asparagus in lightly salted water, until tender; remove with slotted spoon or tongs and chill in ice water. Drain, again, and set aside. Cook peas in same water for a few minutes just to blanch. Remove with slotted spoon and chill in ice water. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare Lamb Chops. Preheat oven to 375F. Season chops lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat olive oil in large, heavy skillet until very hot. Add lamb chops, a few at a time, and brown on all sides. Transfer to large ovenproof dish, and arrange in single layer. Roast at 375F for about 15 minutes for medium rare (145F), or longer for well done.
- Meanwhile, stir 2 tablespoons butter and 8 chopped Mission FIgs into polenta and reheat adding water as needed. Then, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large heavy skillet; saute 2 slivered dried Calimyrna figs, lightly, and add cooked asparagus and peas. Season with salt and pepper; toss lightly in melted butter and reheat. When chops are desired doneness, serve immediately with Fig and Pine-Nut Jam spooned on top with polenta and Asparagus and Peas, along side.
Recipe courtesy of the California Fig Advisory Board.