Fig Pine-Nut Jam with Lamb Chops
- Yield: 8 servings
- Fig and Pine-Nut Jam:
- 4ounces dried California Calimyrna figs; stemmed and chopped
- 2ounces pine nuts; lightly toasted
- 4-- garlic cloves, poached in water until soft
- 1/2teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4teaspoon chopped fresh lavendar leaves
- 1/4teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 6tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- Lamb Chops:
- 8-- double cut lamb chops
- -- Salt and pepper, as needed
- -- Extra virgin olive oil; as needed
- Polenta with Dried California Mission Figs:
- 1quart water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1cup polenta or coarse ground corn meal
- 2tablespoons butter
- 8-- dried California Mission figs; roughly chopped
- Asparagus and Peas with Dried California Figs:
- 1bunch asparagus (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 8ounces shelled green peas
- 2-- dried California Calimyrna figs; cut into thin slivers
- 1tablespoon butter
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- To prepare the Fig Pine-Nut Jam. Place chopped figs in small bowl and add warm water to cover, set aside. When soft, drain and transfer to food processor, adding all remaining ingredients for jam. Pulse to mix well, adding water if needed. Set aside.
- To prepare the Polenta with Dried California Mission Figs. In large saucepot, combine water and salt; heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in polenta. Cook, stirring frequently until thick. Set aside.
- To prepare the Asparagus and Peas with Dried California Figs. Cook asparagus in lightly salted water, until tender; remove with slotted spoon or tongs and chill in ice water. Drain, again, and set aside. Cook peas in same water for a few minutes just to blanch. Remove with slotted spoon and chill in ice water. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare Lamb Chops. Preheat oven to 375F. Season chops lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat olive oil in large, heavy skillet until very hot. Add lamb chops, a few at a time, and brown on all sides. Transfer to large ovenproof dish, and arrange in single layer. Roast at 375F for about 15 minutes for medium rare (145F), or longer for well done.
- Meanwhile, stir 2 tablespoons butter and 8 chopped Mission FIgs into polenta and reheat adding water as needed. Then, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large heavy skillet; saute 2 slivered dried Calimyrna figs, lightly, and add cooked asparagus and peas. Season with salt and pepper; toss lightly in melted butter and reheat. When chops are desired doneness, serve immediately with Fig and Pine-Nut Jam spooned on top with polenta and Asparagus and Peas, along side.
Recipe courtesy of the California Fig Advisory Board.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 640
- Fat 37g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Sodium 550mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Fiber 11g
- Protein 29g