Chicken Prosciutto & Fig Cavatappi
- Yield 8 servings
- 8 ounces cavatappi pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups Italian Cheese Blend
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 4 ounces prosciutto (preferably smoked, AKA speck), thinly sliced and chopped
- 1 cup dried mission figs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon good quality extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using non-stick cooking spray, grease a 2-quart baking dish.
Fill a large pot 1/2 way with water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 2-3 minutes less than the package suggests. Drain.
In a large pot over low heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add flour and stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add in salt and pepper, and, with a wire whisk, gradually add the milk and cream. Bring to a boil while continuously stirring. Reduce heat, and then simmer for 1 minute. Stir in 2 Italian Cheese Blend and blue cheese until melted and smooth. Add chicken, prosciutto, figs, 2/3 cup toasted walnuts, and cooked pasta. Stir to combine. Pour into greased casserole dish.
In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon butter, 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, and remaining 1/2 cup Italian Cheese Blend. Sprinkle on top of pasta.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese has begun to bubble and the top starts to become golden brown. Drizzle with good quality olive oil.
Makes 8 servings.