Festive Vegetable Gateau
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2large onions, chopped
- Water, as needed
- 2medium yellow squash, sliced very thin into rounds
- 2medium zucchini, sliced very thin into rounds
- 2medium tomatoes, sliced very thin into rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 4sprigs fresh thyme, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions 12 to 15 minutes until very brown adding a little water to the pan to prevent sticking, if needed. When the onions are well caramelized and very sweet, add about 1/4 cup water to the pan and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Place onions with liquid from pan into a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Spread to form an even layer. Use the squash, zucchini and tomatoes to form layers of vegetable over the onions. Form the rows by overlapping the vegetable rounds. Sprinkle the garlic and thyme over the vegetables. Drizzle with the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered 35 minutes until the vegetable are tender and lightly browned.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 87
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 7mg
- Carbohydrate 7g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 2g