Festive Vegetable Gateau
- Yield 8 servings
This elegant side dish can be served over pasta or rice.
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- Water, as needed
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced very thin into rounds
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced very thin into rounds
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced very thin into rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, minced, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions 12 to 15 minutes until very brown adding a little water to the pan to prevent sticking, if needed. When the onions are well caramelized and very sweet, add about 1/4 cup water to the pan and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Place onions with liquid from pan into a 2 1/2-quart casserole. Spread to form an even layer. Use the squash, zucchini and tomatoes to form layers of vegetable over the onions. Form the rows by overlapping the vegetable rounds. Sprinkle the garlic and thyme over the vegetables. Drizzle with the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake uncovered 35 minutes until the vegetable are tender and lightly browned.