Festive Cranberry Torte
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1cup vanilla wafer cookies, crushed
- 1/3cup walnuts, chopped
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2cups fresh cranberries, finely chopped
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten, room temperature
- 1tablespoon freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1cup whipping cream
- Additional whipped cream for garnish
- Additional cranberries for garnish
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine crust ingredients and blend well.
- Press into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and chill.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine cranberries and sugar. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add egg whites, orange juice and vanilla, Beat on slow speed until frothy, then at high speed 8 to 10 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cranberry mixture.
- Pour into prepared crust and seal with plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, preferably overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream and cranberries.
NOTE: Decorate with holly leaves and cranberries.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Portland, Oregon, From Portland’s Palate a Collection of Recipes from the City of Roses (The Junior League of Portland, Oregon, 1992).