Festive Calico Potatoes
- Yield: servings
- 5pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2cup onion, chopped
- 1/2cup butter (8 tablespoons)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4pound processed cheese, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, boil potatoes until tender: Meanwhile, saute peppers and onions in 4 tablespoons of butter. Add garlic and parsley after onions and pepper are soft. Set aside. Drain potatoes. Put them back into saucepan with sauteed vegetables, remaining butter, cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Mash together until most lumps are gone. This dish is not meant to be creamed. Place in a lightly greased 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until potatoes begin to turn golden.
Tips from Our Test Kitchen: For a lower-calorie version, consider using milk instead of cream and reducing butter by half. It’s the ideal side dish for beef, pork, chicken, or fish.
—Cynde Sonnier, Mont Belvieu, Texas