Fava Bean Salad with Lemon, Oregano and Garlic
- Yield 6 servings
Creamy, earthy fava beans have a nutty flavor and a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. They are high in protein and a good source of vitamins A, B1 and B2.
If you can’t find favas, use cooked frozen butter beans or lima beans. Use your best-quality olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
- 1 large potato, peeled
- 2 cups cooked fava beans*
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Place potato in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes until tender. Drain and when cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch chunks. Combine potatoes, beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes, oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with feta, if desired. Serve at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.