Fava Bean and Pea Shoot Salad
- Yield 6 servings
- 2 pounds young fava beans in the pod
- 1 bunch pea shoots, or 1/4 pound pea shoot tips
- 1 large head butter lettuce, large leaves torn
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dill sprigs
- 1/4 cup snipped freeh leek-chives or regular chives
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shell fava beans (you should have about 1 cup beans) and drop into boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and slip off skins.
- Trim tender tops and leaves of pea shoots (you should have 2 to 3 cups) and reserve sturdier parts for soup or stock. Trim away any long tendrils that might be hard to chew (nibble one to find where the tender part begins).
- Place fava beans, pea shoots, lettuce, dill and chives in a salad bowl.
- Drizzle with oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss and serve.
Recipe used with permission from The Santa Monica Farmers’ Market Cookbook: Seasonal Foods, Simple Recipes, and Stories from the Market and Farm by Amelia Saltsman (Blenheim Press, 2007).