Fast-and-Fit Clam Chowder
- Yield: servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- 1tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1cup chopped leeks or onions
- 1cup diced red and/or green bell peppers
- 2 (6 1/2-ounce) cans chopped clams in clam juice
- 2pounds (6 medium) potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2teaspoons dried thyme
- 1cup lowfat milk
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Place butter in 2 1/2- to 3-quart microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Add leeks and bell peppers; microwave on HIGH 3 minutes.
- Drain juice from clams into microwaved vegetables, reserving clams. Stir in potatoes, broth and thyme. Cover with plastic wrap, venting one corner. Microwave on HIGH 20 minutes.
- With slotted spoon remove 4 cups cooked potatoes; set aside. Pour contents of bowl into container of electric blender; add milk, and holding lid down tightly, blend until smooth. Return mixture to bowl. Stir in reserved clams and potatoes, corn and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes until heated through. If desired, pass bowls of shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped parsley or crumbled cooked bacon to stir into soup.