Farfalle with Applewood Smoked Chicken
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
This recipe makes more pesto than you will need, but is it delicious and good to have on hand. Spoon the extra over sliced tomatoes, boiled potatoes, or plain pasta. When garnishing the plates, use a vegetable peeler to make ribbon-like shavings of Parmesan cheese.
- 3/4cup California walnuts, toasted
- 1bunch arugula, washed, with stems removed (2 ounces of clean stemmed leaves)
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 1tablespoon (about 3 cloves) chopped garlic
- 1tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2pound dried farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- 1/3cup olive oil
- 3cups diced applewood smoked chicken, or other smoked chicken, cut in ½ inch chunks
- 2cups sliced asparagus, in 1-inch, diagonal pieces
- 4teaspoons (about 4 cloves) chopped garlic
- 1/2cup arugula-walnut pesto
- 1/2cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 15-20-- California walnut halves, toasted
- -- Shaved Parmesan cheese
To make the pesto, in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine all of the ingredients and process for 1 to 2 minutes, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until the pesto is smooth. Transfer to a tightly sealed container, and refrigerate, until ready to use. You will yield about 1¼ cups.
Have all ingredients at hand and 4 serving plates or bowls warmed when you begin preparing the pasta. Once you start, it goes quickly.
- Drop the farfalle into a large pot of boiling, salted water and cook according to package directions; the pasta should be slightly firm to the bite, not mushy.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the chicken, asparagus and garlic; cook stirring and tossing frequently until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pesto and creme fraiche.
- Drain the pasta well and add it to the skillet. Stir and toss for a moment to combine and coat the pasta with the sauce. Divide the pasta among 4 heated plates or bowls, then garnish with toasted walnuts and shaved Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alvin Binuya of Madoka on Bainbridge Island, Wash.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 624
- Glycemic Load 0
- Fat 40g
- Saturated Fat 8g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
- Monounsaturated Fat 22g
- Cholesterol 27mg
- Sodium 624mg
- Carbohydrate 50g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 19g
- Trans Fat 0g