- Yield 16 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Instead of the traditional fruit and cream layers, this version of the English fave goes chocolate-crazy to decadent effect.
Trifles serve a crowd and make a presentation. Says chef Holly Clegg, "Of all my trifle recipes, this is the one people always ask for. It's easy and a guaranteed winner."
- 1 (16-ounce) angel food cake
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur
- 3 (1.4 ounce) English toffee candy bars, crushed
- 3 4-serving packages of instant vanilla pudding and pie filling
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Cube cake and place in large bowl.
- To make chocolate sauce: combine sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and evaporated milk. Cook over low heat until thickens. Remove from heat; add coffee liqueur, cool.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cake in bowl. Add crushed candy to cake mixture.
- In mixer, beat pudding and 3 cups skim milk until thick. Pour over angel food cake mixture.
- In trifle dish, layer cake mixture, banana, and whipped topping. Repeat layers, ending with whipped topping.
Recipe by Holly Clegg, from The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Running Press, 2006).